Legacy Scholarship Fund
The American Legion Legacy Scholarship
The American Legion Legacy Scholarship is a needs-based scholarship designed to fulfill a financial gap remaining after all federal and state educational grants/scholarships available to an eligible applicant have been utilized.
- Children of U.S. military members who died while on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001.
- Children of post-9/11 veterans having been assigned a combined disability rating of 50 percent or greater by the Department of Veterans Affairs also qualify.
- Each needs-based scholarship provides up to $20,000 in aid for undergraduate or post-graduate college. Recipients may reapply for additional annual awards up to six times.
- The Legacy Scholarship online application is now closed for 2018.
2017 Annual Report Information
- 2017 Total Scholarships Awarded: 55
- 2017 Amount of Scholarship Funds Awarded: $671,892
- Total Scholarships Awarded Since Inception: 268
- Total Funds Awarded Since Inception: $1,164,573
- Past National Commander Charles E. Schmidt's Legacy Run Year (Oct. 1, 2016 – Sept. 30, 2017) Donations: $1,270,830